Momentum is Everything

Kid's Toys.  Noticed how children's toys are totally over-packaged?  A big rattling box, colorful glossy printing, plastic moulds to hold the product in place.  The toy is clearly visible, yet still wrapped up and untouchable.  Maybe you can touch a tiny little part of it, and there is a hole for you finger with "TRY ME" and an arrow pointing  - so you touch it and there is a noise or reaction - but you still can't REALLY have it.  Not until you buy it and unwrap it.  But within 48 hours of purchase, the toy lies on the floor, ignored.

So what has this got to do with sobriety?  Well, I was just over at another blog  Sober For a Year and was inspired to write about momentum.  How momentum can flag and pale and become that ignored toy on the floor.

Just like drinking.  Now I have worked pretty much flat out for the last eight days, and have set aside a day or two to recover.  So I'm walking to the beach after this, even though it is only 19C and I have just come off a night shift.  But if I don't go for that walk, I will lose a bit of momentum.  And that is not a good thing.

Writing in the blog format as a therapeutic tool to assist in my staying sober requires plenty of momentum, and me to diligently maintain that momentum.  Out in the blogosphere there are a multitude of blogs that have lost momentum and quietly wither from lack of new thoughts.  And the author eventually returns to the blog and prefaces her entry with something along the lines of "sorry not to have posted for so long, but..."

Just like the new toy that loses appeal by the hour, or the blog that isn't nurtured with fresh reflections, sobriety can be quietly lose momentum just as quickly.  For a friend's birthday, or a family funeral, or an unexpected ugly - whatever that is - but you know what I mean.

It is my role to maintain that momentum, even in the face of (0) comments.  Keeping that momentum rolling is the difference between staying sober for good and being on that exhausting tightrope that they benignly call moderation.

3 comments:

  1. Where are you? Why nothing since May? I need to know how you are doing and want to hear that you are sober and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long story I got confused....never mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. All fine June, everything is OK, I'm still sober and clean and just on 100 days sobriety.
    Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here