One year Anniversary

So its one year since I started this blog. Might be time for a little reflection and assessment of where we are at.

In the past year I have

1. Gone sober for a week around September 2010, then crashed on the Saturday afternoon, and found myself lining up at a bottleshop on the Sunday.

2. Just basically drunk even crazier than normal all summer, so I was drinking from like waking up when I didn't have any other commitments (read - work).

3. Hit crisis point or rock bottom again and stopped drinking on April 20th. For the final time. That's 44 days ago! Quite a tally and honestly the longest I have gone without alcohol for twenty years or since I was in school, or since I was under the legal age.

4. The Sadness of Beer this storyis where I have come from - thinking buying cheap beer was saving money! What the? Buying beer is never saving money. On that note, at my drinking levels I have not spent about $500 on alcohol by going sober for 44 days.

5. I feel calmer, more motivated (have finally finished the chicken coop) and am going to bed at 8pm and waking up around 5 or 6 am. It is how other people live - and it makes me wonder whether I should regret all the years I wasted being hungover... But that was my decision and hey it wasn't as if I was in a prison or anything.

6. Just writing on my other blog I am learning to be grateful and appreciate that things are what they are and I could be in a whole lot worse shape but for some very lucky bits of providence.

7. So here's to celebrate the sober blog and how it works even if it did take a year to get finally sorted for me. Oh, that's another thing, sobriety has taught me to recognise and just appreciate it for what it is - patience.

2 comments:

  1. A friend recommended this blog via twitter. All I wanted to say was congratulations and wish you so well on this quest. Looking at the things you have already achieved, you should be so proud and so inspired to continue on. Best of luck in continuing to tred the path towards what makes you healthy and happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna, is great to share - it's about much more than alcohol...

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here