too old to cry, too young to die

What's the matter with you?
You've been down all day
What happened to you
To make you feel that way?


Just heard the news that Urge Overkill will be playing some festivals in Australia this summer. Don't get me wrong, I won't be going, but it does give pause for some reflection. This song was an anthem for awkwardness when I was nineteen.

I was full of bravado and headstrong and I distinctly remember saying to myself "I can handle drinking as much as I want, I can handle drugs as much as I want - I'll be fine, I'll get back on track, I'm just having my drug / drinking stage." So I ignored the warnings and the hype and fell away from my more cautious and sensible friends and dived headfirst into the dropout counter-culture.

Like they say in the classics, there are some things you just can't un-see, and I guess that would be what I will share from this period. The highs, the loneliness, the searing depths of severe depression, the shameful humility of being a no-one.

But would I change it all?  Phew, I am so grateful for where I am today...

4 comments:

  1. I love your counter, it will be soon 200 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    thank you for commenting on my blog and leaving that link.
    I am not an alcoholic and didn't understand addiction until I recently helped someone through it.
    Here's my story of doing so - http://carlyfindlay.blogspot.com/2011/08/r-u-ok.html
    And now, when I am no longer needed, it feels like my 'addiction' is hard to withdraw from. And that is a lot of what my recent blog posts have been about.
    Best wishes with your journey, I'll be sure to keep reading.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda and Carly for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here