Day 94 - Working Working Working

Since Last Post - Did stop by the pub and have a glass of beer late in the afternoon as is the habit.  Really just relishes with anticipation that first sweet, frothy sip and suddenly I am sitting in a dark pub with some wrinkly, sombre locals head down reading the paper.  Not the best feeling.

Day 94 - Working through a Phase
Worked the night shift last night and am back on this afternoon for the evening shift - am squashing eight shifts into seven days, plus the business so have literally got no time for much else.
Again, this is part of my binge-dry-bust-binge cycle.
I was coming off a nine day bender where I had a 22 or so bottles of red wine (and assorted miscellaneous beers in the meantime) and then I started this blog in the hazy afterglow feeling absolutely deathly.  Now, with some reflection and moderation, and a few days of non-drinking, I am feeling almost normal again.
So I plough into my work and do crazy overtime and hardly see anyone at home and think of making some meaningful inroads into the debt.  Nothing is too much, I accept marginal orders and go nuts with the personal care and attention so the customers gush.
But it all has to end, doesn't it?
Well it can't end for another three days as I have to do some more back to back shifts, then after Saturday morning shift I have a Birthday celebration to go to - MINE!  So I guess I will let it end there in front of some valued friends I haven't seen in a while.  uh oh.
Initially we booked a table of eight in the members gallery at the races, which, being a long weekend, and considering the last Saturday meeting was cancelled due to the weather, is destined to be a huge turn out.  But I was not confident I could handle my usual drinking pattern at the races, which is bottle after bottle of $24 champagne (sparkling semillon).  I know it sounds sickly sweet and bubbles, and it is.  But I can drink heaps of it and I'm not forced to spend the whole outing standing in line at the bar, which, even in the members stand is shoulder to shoulder.
So we settled on a fine dining restaurant with a tapas pre-dinner drinks (of course, being me, we have also plans for post-dinner drinks).  It should be a great evening and will be drinking expensive wine, not that that is ever a reason to slow down.
Anyway, not much time for reflection today. Have been thumbing through a copy of Alan Carr's Control your Alcohol, a book I read a couple of years ago.  Basically it is a suspenseful tale leading up to this great revelation that is supposed to be a great tip to help one control their alcohol intake.  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join my email list here