Meaning of LIfe

So the time has come for some humble acceptance and accountability. 

“One morning, after many dark nights of despair, an irrepressible longing to live will announce to us the fact that all is finished and that suffering has no more meaning than happiness.” Camus.

Drinking alcohol again.  Smoking weed like a half-crazed hippy.  Tired and anxious and emotionally scattered like a handful of coins down the drain.

Last week I did a cash job and had a pocketful of cash ($80) that had sort of slipped through the system, and whilst we were on holiday for a week, I bought a bottle of vodka.  My wife was inside the supermarket of some little town and it just happened to be next to a liquorstore, so I nimbly skipped over and soon enough had a bottle of Absolut tucked under my armpit.

And there it stayed until we returned to our accommodation.  Later that night I glugged it straight in raw, eye-watering swallows, like acid down my throat.  I returned to the open fire and our friends as if nothing had happened.
“But your face is all red and you’re slurring?”
“Umm, I just had an antihistamine...?”
*
I have been taking antabuse for a while now.  It is like a sledgehammer of honesty – bringing on waves of nausea, headaches and cramps if I so much as have alcohol in my deodorant.  So you can imagine what 700ml of vodka would do in an hour.  My face, neck and chest went red blotchy like I had some tropical disease and my vision was swirling.

Boldly, with that curious blend of arrogance, ignorance and pure bravado that makes me alcoholic, I maintained my part in the conversation and freely offered my analysis of the local property market, the current trends in the world economy and what to do with your retirement income over the medium term.  By all accounts I was a convincing “drunk-drinking-again.”
*

Next day I woke before everyone else, tried to shit it out but couldn’t, then, returning to the scene of the crime, took a last pull of the vodka (there was about a quarter left in the bottle) and went outside into the frigid winter air for a walk.  I stumbled along the country road, clothes layered right on top of my pyjamas, and ducked under the barbed wire fence to walk towards the cattle.

The four steers just blinked at me, purple tongues busy switching from mouth to nostril and back again, panting fumes into the chill air.  My head throbbed, and I pretended not to cough on a cigarette as I shuddered back the dull blanket of the alcoholic tingle.  There, back again.  Felt sort of normal for a bit.

Is this all there is?  I said to the steers as they shifted from one foot to another, or nodded away a drip from their nose.  Just this interminable peace and quiet for a couple of years before the  blinding chaos of stainless steel and industrial butchery?  The perfect provincial idyll before those  few final hours of sheer terror and finally the quiet nothingness of death.

I started to cry and realised for the four thousand, three hundred and thirty second time that I was wasting my life.  I was alcoholic and hopelessly lost, but there was hope.  I can choose my appointment at the slaughthouse – or keep living with three beautiful daughters, and a gracious, patient and understanding wife.

I know life has no meaning – we are all quietly going about paying mortgages in a kind of quiet desperation thinking that everything is going to be OK.  But it can have a meaning – if you have the courage and energy to give it meaning.  Giving your life meaning through a bottle or a ballgame or a bet makes no difference to me – but does lend you a passion and intrigue so you can briefly lift your gaze from the silent monotony and savour each other and whatever distractions you choose.  But for me, and most of us, it just can’t be alcohol, or drugs or gambling even.
*

I haven’t been accountable for a while – and this blog is a very rude reminder of how long it has been.  Thanks for dropping by and let’s see if I can’t get my shit together – because people are depending on me and I’ve been letting them down.

I'm here to help you, and would love to send you a free copy of my book...

* indicates required

26 comments:

  1. Awwww, I was just thinking about you yesterday! I thought that maybe you were struggling since we hadn't heard from you in awhile. I am sorry. But its never too late and we are all getting our shit together most of the time. Different shit, different days, but we all keep plugging along. You do the same friend. I'm glad you posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you do get it together. You realize what you have to do. And somehow I think that you will get it together because you don't want to be like the cattle going to the slaughter house. There is so much more to life than that. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We let our self down and that's what hurts so bad. We simply "see" the pain we feel in those we love. When we hurt self we hurt them. Do it for you! Glad you posted. Glad you're alive. I've been thinking about you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear from you, Bwendo. I think life does have meaning - the mortgage paying etc is, though necessary, in the realm of illusion, whereas the meaning of life is far more evident to me in the depth and beauty of your soul. You are a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish someone had told me how amazing life would be once I started the recovery process. All I could think of was how is it possible to live without the warm glow of alcohol? But what I've found is a lasting warmer glow of truly living. Don't get lost in the shame and disappointment...just pick back up and choose life. Glad you're writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bwendo,
    It really good to hear from you again. I hope you find peace on this earth. I found it almost 10 months ago when i found your blog. I don't know what else to say (although I'm trying to make a funny reference to when John the Baptist said, Master isn't it you who should be baptizing me?...but it's not coming out right). Do it for your kids man. They don't deserve to get less than your best. That's what helps me. I'll play Wonderwall on my phone now in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crying and totally fucked up. You are nice - thank you and keep being yourself

      Delete
  7. Hey you,
    Missed ya.

    Now let's get back to where we left off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My darling lovely Bwendo.. that kind man who used to say to me so often when I started living sober and blogging..'go gently'. Go gently my friend and as Kary May says.. lets get back to where we left off. You know what it entails. You know that you can do it. Sounds to me like you want to do it again. Sending lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see you posted again! I don't even know you but I was so relieved to see you post again. You will get this figured out, there is something to be learned from every relapse & for some (like me) it has taken alot of relapses to learn what I was supposed to so I could stay sober. I just had to be open to learning something & not just beat myself up. Look forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listen to Colin Hayes...

    Still this emptiness persists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there! You've come this far. Don't give it all up now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully written. What strikes me is how forcefully addiction drives our actions. You got really, really, really sick and still you took that last gulp. If you had been that sick on oysters, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't be eating them the next day. All the best in your journey. And thank you so much for the insight.

    P.S. I hope your family is also seeking help for the trauma addiction has caused them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just dropped in to see if you'd posted - I almost fell off my chair to see this update! It's great to see you back again.

    It's NOT great, though, to see that you are drinking again, lying and covering it up (badly, I'm sure. Your wife and kids have seen this all before, so they aren't stupid or clueless, right?).

    I hope upon hope that you can get it together again, for their sakes, and for your own. The ride you are on goes nowhere good.

    I'm pulling for you. Really, really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time to grow up and stop acting like a big spoilt self indulgent baby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic blog! This may not be nice but reading this helps keep me sober. I hope you get it together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Makes me so sad to read this shit - you are me and I am a pathetic drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Alcoholic Loser. I know who you are, and you just broke my heart.

    I have been obsessively reading every word of your beautiful horrible blog. Yesterday I was still reading about the long sober phase at the beginning and I was so happy for you because the sober count told me that ultimately, you had made it. The math didn't totally add up but I thought there would be a nice gift-wrapped happy ending for you and your family.

    Last night I drank a bottle of whine (ha, typo but I'm leaving it) and then I was out of booze and I considered going next door to my dear friend's house and stealing the beer that I knew was in the cooler in her back yard. I was really worried about her seeing me and figuring out that I am an Alcoholic Loser, so I planned to wait until I thought she was in the basement watching TV with her kids like a Normal Person. Ultimately I realized there was no way around her dumb barky dog. That's the only reason I didn't steal beer from one of the only friends I have been able to keep.

    Today, I got to the part where you first relapsed. Sigh. I have really come to care about you in the past few days of reading your story.

    I didn't drink today because you inspired me. I am happily typing this sober from my big comfy bed. You remember what that was like!! Have you re-read your old posts from that quiet, insightful sober time? You should. There is some brilliant and inspiring stuff there. You were so sure of your decision to quit and your own power to do it. I think that after you relapsed the first time, drinking just became an option again. Re-read your stuff.

    I will not drink tomorrow because you inspired me.

    I think you are a beautiful human being. Get strong again OK?

    No-Name for Now xo


    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here