January

I don't work in January. Just don't schedule any work, but have some vague plans for building stuff around the house, all the while knowing my real goal is to just drink myself into oblivion everyday. Get up hungover, slurp some wine or have a beer down the back where no one can see, and try to keep that buzz going all day without stumbling or talking shit. Walk the tightrope, until the afternoon when I can 'officially' be half drunk and be seen prancing around with a wineglass and purple teeth.

Well that's what used to happen, anyway.

So January 2012 is the first sober one. I'm prepared - I had six cubic meters of river rock and gravel delivered on my driveway (just before Christmas) so I can spend the mornings shovelling and wheel-barrowing and placing the rocks in the garden. Most of it is already done, and it has been a great way to get outdoors before the heat sets in and be productive.

So next is the fence, and building the new home office. And you must agree it quickly gets boring writing/reading a post cataloging my work for the month. But you get the picture.

Something about being productive and focused - 'sitting sober' is not a holiday for me.

8 comments:

  1. You know the thought of you out there, sober, working hard around your home, bettering your environment, is so precious to me. I'm glad you shared. Keep at it my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old saying "idle hands are the devil's plaything" rings true here - keeping yourself busy should help keep the alcohol demons at bay. I'm with Annette - keep at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. Don't know about you but when I was drinking I could never do or finish thing likes these. Part of it was my great expectations, I wanted everything perfect, I would start getting drunk and sloppy and my mind would tell me I suck and then stop the project, Today my finished projects aren't prefect and I am alright with it, I understand my skills and limitations and still take pleasure in just going the work. This is a great joy, to no longer be a slave to alcohol, to be able to accomplishing the things in life I wish to accomplish, whether it is doing something outdoors or just spending quality time with family and friends.

    Good luck and thanks for sharing your journey.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette; Is a great feeling connecting with the neighbors talking about trees and chickens and just stuff...

    Ms Dreamer; Another version is 'hands to work hearts to God' for what it's worth.

    Wolfie185; This idea of perfection stymies so much creativity and well even basically just attempting things. Instead we sit on the sidelines of life commenting and being sarcastic. Actually doing, regardless of how near the end product approaches an ideal of 'perfect' is what life is all about.
    You should see some of my watercolors - I've just started and they are, how can I put this, a bit fucked, but the pleasure is in the process and over time I will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard old timers say winter is a hard time, almost as hard as the holidays. When I first heard this, it scared me a little. But I figure it's best to know and prepare myself as much as I can. Staying busy (but not too busy) seems a smart thing to do. Plus you'll have your work to admire afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but I had to laugh at "prancing around with a wineglass and purple teeth." Brought back memories!

    It is amazing how productive we become when we put down the drink!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, never boring reading about you think and what you do.
    I bought a new fry pan and a new baking dish so my January will be about cooking interesting stuff.
    It is good to be productive even in holiday time

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ byebyebeer - What are you saying about old timers? My goodness, Im only like 37! I spose it could be in some circles, yeah, I guess,

    @ Elizabeth - Thanks!

    @ Marcie - Thanks to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here