Exercise for Alcoholics

Exercise as an alcoholic was always a wonderful conflict.. On the one hand I was genuinely interested in being healthy and focussed on maintaining a fitness regimen.  But on the other hand I knew in the back of mind I would be drunk before days end and in that state resistance to 'non-preferred' foods was quite low.  Not forgetting the completely unpredictable calendar of drunk / hungover / asleep making it virtually impossible to schedule anything outside of work.  And the pathetic tendency for a drink to materialise in my hand at any hour of the day, even whilst tying my laces for exercise, making the actual exercise event far too infrequent.

But I joined the gym and went through boot camp sessions in the early morning darkness with the others.  No doubt panting acrid alcohol breath all over them.  But they didn't say anything - like no one ever did , ever.  (Maybe that is why my alcoholism progressed for so long, and I allowed myself the indulgence of "it's not really that bad" for the last few years especially.)  And I counted walking home from drunking bouts as exercise, as though pounding the pavement smashed was actually doing me good.

So now, I walk/run six eight and ten kilometers around the beach and it is nowhere near as difficult or painful as it was with a dry mouthed hangover.  So inspiring, I have bought some shirts and socks and other exercise stuff for the spring.  And have been sticking by my commitment for a daily half hour minimum - no matter what.  After all, if I could always manage to squeeze in a bottle of wine, no matter what, surely I can squeeze in a half hour's exercise, no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. I actually competed for a figure comp and was pretty much drinking every day of training for that first comp-LOL. I am grateful that even though I drank almost every day, I still ate well and exercised full on so that I never ended up with too severe of problems as many former alcohol addicts end up with. I am glad to be fully healhty now without the alcohol in my system.
    PS-this is Raechelle from raechellesblog-blogger wouldn't let me sign as me. bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way more optimistic regarding the whole 'exercise thing' than I am, so I'll just live vicariously through you.

    I love your blog, by the way. Have I mentioned that before? Have I even commented before? ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise has always been a big part of my life, and I believe it can be a great tool for people in recovery. I volunteer my personal training skills at a woman's treatment center. Right now, some of the woman are training with me for their first ever 5K at the end of Oct.
    I believe that exercise builds reverence for the body, and you are less likely to fill it with poisons (drugs/alcohol) if you respect it.

    I'm glad you find it useful. There is another reason-- my trainer gave me a t-shirt that said "you will look better naked." LOL

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here