Weekend Away

Is the first time I have been away sober - and I made it through the weekend just fine.  Earlier times giving away drinking had come undone on occasions like this, where I would somehow rationalize drinking and find myself a boring drunk again.  But not this time.  As I explained when a friend asked "So, is it hard knowing you can't drink?"  And I answered totally honestly "Nope - there's nothing really to think about or discuss - the decision has been made - I'm sober - and that's it.  It's a done deal.  I don't drink.  Simple."

Christmas in July
8 children, 4 couples, 3 ducks, 2 chickens, 1 pork shoulder, Zero alcohol.
We stayed in a huge farmhouse - cool outside but lovely and warm inside.
Here's some of the pork shoulder we roasted on a spit - just delicious.

And she nodded and that was good enough for her.  So instead I busied myself with other distractions - cooking, tending the fire and taking photos - plus spending real time with my daughters and their friends.  It was easy - a couple of times I found myself feeling different for not having a drink in my hand, so I had a bottle of water to suck from, then later in the evening I graduated to coke to keep me awake.  Plus plenty of earl grey tea.  Just being sober and reading my book on the lounge was relaxing.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a really good time, a cup of tea and a good book is a perfect night as far as I am concerned. I get a lot of wow is it hard not to drink questions too, at some point I plan on coining a witty response but for now just smile.. Xmas in July is fascinating, love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This choice, this decision to be sober, is such a wonderful gift and legacy for your wife and children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your words. Makes a difference every time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was asked at a reunion which was on April 23 this year, about how I don't drink anymore (though I have since a few small glasses lol). I hadn't drunk anything to speak of for 11 years. I just said I stopped. Which I did. I was stressed and my husband said I should have some wine to cope. I basically rebelled, didn't want to have to rely on anything to cope. Did want to start that at all. I find constant comments on facebook about how drinking makes you forget difficult. It is better not to know that logic. I hope my kids don't hear it at school etc.

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here