Day 93 - Drunkenomics - the-economics-of-alcoholism

Since Last Post - Keeping out of trouble, just working and staying free of the booze.  Haven't had much time to do anything but work and sleep.  Have been quite direct and assertive in the workplace, which colleagues have noticed is out of the ordinary.  Perhaps since I am mentally fit and not half-crippled with a thumping hangover I am more confident and less vulnerable to being manipulated in the workplace?
Day 93 - The Economics of Drinking...
1. Opportunity Cost
I have noticed how my constant hangover means I have to almost hang my head in shame and be invisible when with most work colleagues, for fear of being exposed as stinking of alcohol or having bleary bloodshot eyes.
In practice, this means I am compliant and obedient and will suffer almost any directive to avoid being exposed.  It has cruelled my career, as when an opportunity is present, my hazy hangovers have meant I have had to literally take a raincheck; wait until I am fresher or more clear headed, and then hope the opportunity presents again.  But too often the moment is lost - or more likely even if it does present again, I am hungover again - or in too much of a rush to get home and get on it - to take action.
In economics, this is called Opportunity Cost, ie the cost of taking one path is the lost opportunity of taking the other path.
2. Hidden or External CostsHidden costs are items not quantified directly in the cost of the good.  Like greenhouse gases when we drive our car.  Or Oil spills in the price of buying fuel.  Or ear damage from going to a rock concert.  Or not having meaningful conversations after about 5pm when you are an alcoholic.

Far and away a greater cost involved in being an alcoholic are the externalities like poor health, chronic tiredness, low frustration threshold, inability to plan or schedule beyond the point of "starting drinking for the night/day">  Here's my exepriences one by one.
Poor Health - Even though I run around the streets for 4km a few times a month, my health is entirely a charade as a heavy drinker.  Thickset middle, cherry red cheeks, easily falling into junk food when hungover. 
Chronic Tiredness - I used to laugh that we should have siestas and that a little doze in the afternoon was a luxury that I deserved.  But it was all really bullshit to disguise the fact that I couldn't put myself to bed before every drip of alcohol had been drunk in the house, no matter what the time.  Sometimes it was enough just to get the last wine into the glass so I could spill it over myself - at least the bottle was empty.
Low Frustration Threshold - When I'm tired, with a headache and I know it's only an hour or so till I can start drinking, watch out if you delay my progress.  It gets my heart racing and I can be almost road rage worthy should someone stumble in the way.
Inability to Plan beyond the first drink - The evening plans are basically get alcohol, some savoury snacks perhaps, and them, well, just let me be and stand clear....

The Economics of Drinking, forgetting the actual financial costs, is depressingly real and unfortunately has been a part of my life for over ten years...

3 comments:

  1. It's true that excessive alcohol drinking can lead one to spend beyond just the drinks. It can also force one to spend on hospital bills, as it can slowly cause the deterioration of a person's body. By managing our own economics, keeping the budget balanced, and spending money on improving health, dealing with alcohol will never be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Milton - it is indeed a 'ghost mortgage' for us alcoholics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm worse than you. I drink until I fall asleep (I quit saying "pass out" - the term isn't amusing anymore). I don't want the fun to end, so I have another and another etc, damn the time, until I can't hold my eyes open anymore. So, of course, I'm tired all the next day, scuffle through, need a nap, then finally feel fresh and ready to party again. So the process repeats - no time left for "opportunities".

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here