Cruel Mother

Today I was at the Police Station - my mother has told people I dobbed my sister in dealing drugs. My sister got raided and there is the tax audit of her indoor plant hire business. Things hit the fan. My mother would not open the screen door for my wife and my daughters and I. My daughter was sobbing as my sister spat obscenities and said she would bur my house down. And that I would get bashed.

A truly awful day - the worst day of my life for many years.

My sister has always been in the drug scene - always since 16, and always her boyfriends and the whole scene has always had drugs not far out of reach. So when they started renovating their home, putting on a deck and a swimming pool and buying caravans and 4WDs and motorbikes all the while saying their indoor plant hire business was failing - you get the picture.

So they were raided in early December and the tax office demanded their files for an audit of their tax history.

And where do I fit in?

Well, I have been blamed as the one who called the cops.

Completely fucking Bullshit. Not true. I simply did not do it.

So when my sister hisses she will have someone burn down my house, that men are coming to punch me out, that I better watch my back, I am seriously worried. That's when I left and went with my family to the Police Station.

Now, somehow, I have to prove that I didn't do it.

But what really kills me, what really hurts inside my heart, is the fact that my mother, Margaret, called me this morning to tell me what had happened, and that I was of course the sole suspect for calling the drug squad.

My own mother, calling me out for putting the police on my sister. And standing there, behind her screen door, blinking as though it is a verified truth.  It is not.  I did not do it.

At once I felt the sheer surge of red pulsing anger well up inside me, and as she bumbled through her reasoning, my heart trilled like fingertips on a drum, I breathed and came to see her for what she has become. A weak willed plaything to be manipulated by my sister at will. To be pitied. I wanted to hit out and cry all at the same time.

Minutes later I was dictating the incident through thick glass at the Police Station.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I wouldn't waste a lot of effort on proving that you didn't turn your sister in, these days I am my own counsel and if I am good in my intentions, I can live with that. If other people don't believe me, that is their problem. Your mother may be afraid for your sister and she is lashing out at you, unfairly but fear may be making her irrational at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a drama and I'm sorry its been your worst day :-(
    Everything Kary May said in her comment is spot on and you certainly shouldn't feel like you have to prove you didn't call the police

    If your sis isn't in a place to look at the bigger picture and realise she wasn't going to get away with it forever then just let her carry on and maybe one day she'll own her own actions

    Hope your daughters and wife feel okay - you all make sure you give each other some extra love over the New Year period !! Family fights are traumatic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I am so sorry. That all sounds so awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tough situation. I too think Kary May is right. The whole thing sucks. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail...sorry she had to bring your kids into it. And sorry you have to going through this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh... even if you HAD called the police on your sister, YOU wouldn't be the problem, the person breaking the law would be!!! This is just the insanity of the disease. We all know how to play the game and do the dance steps to get along. But insanity is when the drug dealer threatening to burn a sibling's HOUSE down is the "good one" and the other sibling would be considered "bad" if they told the police (which I know you didn't - but why not??? She is BREAKING THE LAW!!!). This is like 'through the looking glass" when left is right and up is down... just purse crazy.
    I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen two people in the situation as your sister, and I know it isn't people close to them who get them investigated. Like you say their incomes don't match the stuff. Not that I know a lot about it.

    My husband and I got blamed for making my MIL mental once. Never have they retracted that even though we are talking fairly normally now. I just feel it is just so confusing... anyway I'm sure you understand. I'm sorry you are having a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The drama is continuing to unfold, will update once I have spoken with some stakeholders who I trust and know are reasonable. Thanks for your support, is a trying time.
    Like a ambush - family terrorism...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that the drama resolves itself soon. There were times that I'd like to save my sister from herself, but I'd never go as far as turning her in to the police...at least, not without warning her first (cause I'm mean like that).

    Here's to you and your quest to give up alcohol *raises a ginger ale in support*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if you can view this scene with compassion and realize that lots of people are sick, then you are truly practicing the principles of recovery in your life. Once I get past the initial flash of red hot anger, take a few breaths, and pause without opening my mouth, I can get to a place of compassion. But if I don't "pause when agitated", I revert to old habits of anger and resentment. I don't have a large family so the drama has been minimized a lot over the years. Nonetheless the family I have had sure had enough drama for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, that is fucked up. I hope you and your family stay safe, and well away from that drama.

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here